Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Memories in the Corner of My Mind (Part 2)

When you're young, you remember everything like it was yesterday. Well, when you're 12 years old, it practically was yesterday. When you're 16, there's still not a lot jammed in the ol' noggin and when you're 18, you basically don't care what you remember because there are more important things to worry about like graduating from high school and moving out.

While it may not be scientifically proven, I've always felt there's a finite amount of space in my cranium and, as new things are added, some things just have to go. The lyrics to that "Bat Out of Hell 2" album by Meatloaf were thankfully on the list of things that went.

There are some things that just don't fade over time the way the rest of it does though. For me, at least, a strong emotional response really duct tapes a memory to the inside of my skull. It has to be something more specific than just being really happy or sad for a memory to stick like glue, though.

At 32 years old, I remember parts of the move (including the Greyhound bus ride) from Pennsylvania to Wyoming at age 3; going with my parents to see a house at age 5 and then not wanting to move into it because I'd be starting kindergarten in a different town.
Unfortunately, I also remember when my parents nearly divorced and when I cried at my best friends house because we'd be moving away.

I remember spending time with my grandmother, helping her garden or cook, helping to clean and just spending time with her. Oh no - I just remembered sleeping over at her home and being a huge fan of New Kids on the Block - I guess that ties into part 1 of this post.

Naturally, I remember the first time I SAW my first car, before I'd even purchased it and I remember the excitement of my first night in a college dorm and the completely random and funny things that happened pretty much non stop for the first two months of being out on my own.

Leslie (the woman I remember marrying 10 1/2 years ago) has a much better memory of specific dates, events, etc and so I hope she'll forgive me when I one day forget our anniversary but remember flirting with her during a parade float build and then later asking her out by placing a rose and note reading "for a good time call ....." (with a phone number but no name) on her windshield.

No comments:

Post a Comment