Tuesday, June 9, 2009

One Week in Price, Utah

It's now been one week since we arrived in Utah and became... Utarded (I believe that's the scientific, Latin derived term for a person who has become a resident of, or possibly even a transient of, the state of Utah).

I had a few first day observations that made me wish for some form of twitter telepathy (twilepathy?) so I'll go ahead and subject you to them now. These aren't necessarily specific to Price, UT but they just happened to be the first things I saw/did/heard/smelled/whatever.

1) A bumper sticker that said "honk if you enjoy peace and quiet" <- simple but amusing.

2) While waiting to take a pre-employment drug screen (aka, the whiz quiz) at SOS Staffing (they handle the pee for most companies here) two women came in to do employment paperwork wearing pajama pants and ratty t-shirts. What kind of quality employment are you hoping to find if you don't even put on actual pants and a decent shirt when looking for work?

3) You know you're in a small town when getting a storage unit requires you to visit either the GM dealer or the funeral home to fill out paperwork and pay your bill. I chose the GM dealer; I don't plan on paying a funeral home for storage until I'm much older and by then, I expect someone else will be picking up the bill.

4) I went to Subway my first night in Price (the wife and kids didn't show up until the next day) and already met someone to go trail riding with. I went to Albertson's the next morning to grab some breakfast and the checker (I believe he was the manager or assistant manager) closed his lane to go outside and see my motorycle (no, I didn't suggest it). There are some friendly and bike friendly people here.

5) There's a "Cloyd's Floor Store" on main street. I haven't seen Burt Reynolds or Ned Beatty yet but I'm sure they're hiding out somewhere around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment